How can we find Section 8 house with out credit check

How do we find Section 8 housing vouchers without credit check? People are loosing their Vouchers because they are not getting approved just because they don’t know their credit scores.

7 Likes

Hello Ice,

Thank you so much for your question. You are correct, many people get approved for a voucher only to find it difficult to find a landlord to accept their voucher based on poor credit.

So with Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers you can apply and be approved with no credit check. But when you go to find a qualified Section 8 land lord they will most still have you sign a rental lease. A rental lease even for Section 8 Vouchers will still do credit and background checks. Here is an article that will explain in detail on what you can do about getting a land lord to accept your voucher with no credit or poor credit. Learn more here

To paraphrase the article here. This is our advice, we hope this answers your question.

1. Speak with the Public Housing Authority in your area (PHA)

To learn more about the application procedure for Section 8 housing vouchers, get in touch with your neighborhood PHA.
PHAs won’t run a credit check on applicants because they aren’t allowed to discriminate based on credit score.

1. Look for non-profit organizations
    Non-profit organizations or charitable organizations. These organizations specialize in housing assistance for people with low incomes. They may be able to assist you in finding Section 8 housing vouchers without a credit check. Some of these organizations include Community Action Agencies, Salvation Army, and Catholic Charities.

Do a google search in your area for: “non-profit housing resources near me”

or you can let us know your area and we can help research for you.

If you have already been approved for Section 8 and you don’t know your credit score you should find out what your score is immediately. If you have bank account, your bank will sometimes provide your credit score. You can also try free credit check offers, just avoid signing up for all their credit card offers.

Knowing your score whether good or bad can help you fix your credit or any errors or old info that might be on your score. Monitoring your credit will help you improve it. It will also help you explain to a landlord that

To get all 3 credit bureau scores you can click here and sign up for affordable credit check, this will give you an accurate picture of your credit score. Learn more here

1 Like

Hi I’m Ms.Myles 64 on waiting list for DHA Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher over 2 years now raising my 15 year old grandson disable on SSDI for myself and SSI For my grandson we were homeless and my friend got us an apt. In Prescott Place Apartments and her pasted away 3 months ago my rent in the same as my check my electric bill is over 200 dollars a month or more I need help :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Check with dhs for help with electric,water,gas they helped my sister get them paid down

2 Likes

thank you so much for helping @Emeralddragon1, we love when our community works together and yes that is great advise. Contact the DHS for assistance with utilities.

I will add a link to the department of Human Service website for other readers to contact the DHS office for assistance. Help for Families | The Administration for Children and Families

Call the number on this page, to apply for LIHEAP low income energy assistance program
here this is a short cut to applying for energy assistance Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) | Benefits.gov[quote=“ahhfamily, post:6, topic:345, full:true”]
thank you so much for helping @Emeralddragon1, we love when our community works together and yes that is great advise. Contact the DHS for assistance with utilities.

I will add a link to the department of Human Service website for other readers to contact the DHS office for assistance. Help for Families | The Administration for Children and Families

Call the number on this page, to apply for LIHEAP low income energy assistance program
here this is a short cut to applying for energy assistance Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) | Benefits.gov
[/quote]

1 Like

I’m looking for affordable housing but not having any luck getting anywhere

1 Like