If they would have only listened

I’m from Asheville NC and there’s no such thing as emergency housing for seniors here I’m 67 and living on SSI getting evicted in 1 week signed up for section 8 5 years ago and still waiting I have called as a emergency only got handed off to other agencies that did the same thing long story short I’m fixing to go to the streets and I served my country for 25 years and probably took care of some of you! I was a nurse where is everyone when I need help? Sounds like not wanting to get involved just there for a paycheck and this is exactly why there’s so many homeless woman and children, veterans that shouldn’t be and wouldn’t be if only that one person would have taken just a little time to hear them! The government should be ashamed to even show their face!

1 Like

Hi DEBRA,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re going through this! Have you checked if you are still on the waiting list for Section 8? You may take the following steps;

1. To check your Section 8 status, contact the Public Housing Agency where you applied. Find your office’s phone number by clicking this link.
  2. You can politely ask, “Can I check on my Section 8 status?” Online, you can use Waitlistcheck.com if you’re on the waitlist.

Another option you may want to consider is applying for Section 202 (supportive housing for the elderly), which provides affordable housing for seniors with very low income.

In Asheville, you can try contacting Homeward Bound, which provides housing services for individuals and families experiencing homelessness. Also, the Buncombe County Department of Health and Human Services may be able to provide emergency housing assistance.

Please know that you are not alone and that there are people who care about your well-being and want to help, don´t give up! We hope this information is helpful, and we wish you the best of luck in finding a safe and stable place to live.

Best,

AHH Family